Saturday, February 21, 2009

So my sandals are a lot more worn in..
My legs have received more ant bites in a week than I have the rest of my life...
My days are longer...
I now take a bath by using a bowl to scoop water from a 4 gallon bucket we fill at the well in our "garden"..

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!

I would be lying if I started off this first post by saying I have slept perfectly the first week..but that's mainly just because I'm not yet fully used to sleeping in 85 degree heat or part of my ceiling and mosquito net falling on my face at 2 in the morning..haha...but it's so worth it..

Now what you really want to hear about... The children...
From the moment I arrived I immediately fell in LOVE with these children and this beautiful country. Let me preface by saying that almost all of these kids was hand selected to receive this opportunity to higher their education and one day be a leader in a country that is is dire need of it. These kids were pulled from villages deep inside the forest, living in mud huts, or from places where the women still walk around naked...Yea- think like the specials you see on the History Channel or National Geographic. This country has been corrupted by evil dictators and war that has ruined the country. On my way to use this computer we passed a hotel where brainwashed children soldiers and rebels stormed in and opened fire with machine guns killing over 200 men women and children less than 5 years ago. Every single one of these children has SEEN death. And most have watched or heard family members or close friends being murdered....

But for some extraordinary reason..They don't act like you think they would with those haunting experiences only a few years past.

Our mission houses, feeds, educates, provides for spiritual growth, and teaches agriculture skills to 96 boys and 25 girls... beyond the that, they provide soley education for an additional 85+ making for a total 200+ children involved in the system

The Liberian Government called the mission I work at the best mission in Liberia a couple years ago, and these kids know it.

These children wake up at 5 every morning, do chores, have prayer, and eat. From 7:30-12:30 they go to school and receive an education that had they not been selected from their villages, they would have never gotten the opportunity to have (Most of these kids went to great measures to get into the mission). After school is spent working in the "garden" - a 20+ acre farm where we grow everything I can think of from peppers to pineapple to corn (which I might add is quite often frequented by the only snakes around the area..Cobra and Black Mamba..haha sorry mom..) and the children, water, plow, hook,harvest and tend to every day year round

At 5 the boys stop working in the garden and usually play soccer on a "feild" that I would more like to refer to as a mixture between dust plenty of rocks and bush..and 3 bamboo poles as goals..haha the tops fall off almost every 30 minutes.

At 7 we have prayer. Ok, now any notion you would ever have about a "prayer service", throw it away right now..NOW. haha.. This is not a quiet bible study or dicussion but the cramming of 96 boys into a 25x30 ft room or sauna in which there is nothing but bongo drums, Joyous singing, Dancing, praise, and liturgy. Probably the coolest, and spiritually fulfilling thing I have ever been able to partake in..and I get to do it every night...

I cannot express in words how amazing this first week has been. I have bonded and worked side by side with these children all week and I feel very much like they are my family...which make what they call me extremely suitable.. "Uncle Matthew"
From the moment I stepped out of the truck I was greated with Love.
I wish I could describe in words the effect and impact they have already instilled in my but I've been sitting here for 20 minutes trying to figure out how to and it just cannot be done..

These kids have shown me the meaning to my life, the calling in which God has instilled in my heart..and above all, a great appreciation for EVERY SINGLE blessing He has put into my life - especially the struggles.

I will try to write again as soon as possible...I hope everyone is well and I wish you could see, feel , touch, and comprehend all that Is going on in this beautiful place..

"They had been discussing among themselves on the way who was the greatest. Then He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them,"If anyone wishes to be first, he shall be the last of all and the servant of all." Taking a child He placed it in their midst, and putting His arms around it He said to them, "Whoever receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me."
-Mark 9:34-37

"Practical prayer is harder on the soles of your shoes than on the knees of your trousers."
-Austin O'Malley

5 comments:

  1. i cant figure out how to call you back.
    sounds like you are having a great time (duh...) i can just picture the way those sweet faces must light up when they play with you, and the way YOU must light up when hanging out with them.
    see you soon, i hope.
    praying and praying and praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, Your mom told me about your blog yesterday and I am so excited that she did. You can stop worrying about her. She is doing very well, is extremely proud of you on one hand and totally in awe of your calling to Africa on the other. Mom's are used to living in the tension. I will hold her in my heart in prayer.

    I totally get your being drawn to Africa. The more we come to know Jesus, the more we are compelled to be with the "least of these". I will pray for the children and for you. May you continue to grow more and more in love with one another and with Jesus.

    shalom,
    Caren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew!!
    I am so glad that you posted! I have been checking basically everyday just hoping that you would! I am so glad to see that you are having an amazing time, but I knew you would because that's who you are. I have been saying my rosary every night for you and thinking about you all the time. You are doing an amazing thing and I can't wait to hear your many stories when you get back in May which will be here faster than we know.
    Enjoy every minute of being there because in the blink of an eye it will be gone.
    You are doing an amazing thing and for that am I proud of you!
    I love you and miss you!!
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,

    Keep writing. I miss my 3 page long daily texts from you and this is the only way i can get it! Anyways, you better be showing those kids some football too.

    And when you get back, first thing, we're drawing you up some artwork and getting you inked.

    Love you man,
    Carter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt,

    PLEASE open up the snake bite kit I sent with you, and make sure you know how it works before you need it!

    We are so proud of you, and know that God is working through you in amazing ways. You are in our prayers constantly. We love you and miss you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Listen to slonti111288


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones